Thursday, December 28, 2006

Prinz Myshkin, Munich, Germany


Prinz Myshkin
Hackenstraße
Munich, Germany
http://www.prinzmyshkin.com/

I reviewed Prinz Myshkin before on my last visit to Munich, a couple of years ago. I went back to the Christmas markets again this year, flying with Lufthansa who had no vegetarian option for their mid flight snack other than a chocolate bar, to meet my wife, who works in Munich, for the the weekend.

Over the weekend, we went to the restaurant three times - twice for lunch, and once for an evening meal - and every time the food was great.

Initially, I was slightly disappointed that the menu is still exactly the same, however, I suppose that if something is as good as this then the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" edict could apply. Still, it would have been nice to see that they varied their food occasionally.

On the first visit we shared a plate of antipasti to start. This consisted of mushrooms, artichokes, peppers and other tasty morsels all of which tasted lovely. I do enjoy vegetable antipasti ever since my wife introduced me to it in, of all places, Australia.

To follow I had a plate of vegetable sushi. Wow! When the plate arrived it was a spash of colour, with twelve pieces of sushi, two dipping sauces and piles of ginger, wasabi and shredded beetroot. As well as looking spectacular, it tasted superb. Each piece of sushi roll had different fillings, or was rolled in different seeds. I was really magnificent and very filling.

After that, I was too full to eat more, but we decided to return for dinner the next evening.
To start I had the beetroot, coconut and ginger soup. It was a fantastic colour and tasted great, the flavours were very well balanced and none of them overwhelmed the others. I was recommended the Ayurveda Special for the main course, which is an Indian inspired dish consisting of Bori (deep fried mungo bean dumplings with tomato chutney) Samosa, Aubergine Pakora, Vegetable Sabji (a mixed vegetable curry with paneer) Rice with vegetables and cashews, Papadam and Halawa (sweet semolina). The Bori was great, and very "meaty". The rest of the dishes were extremely tasty, without being too spicy.

Once again, I was too full for any dessert.

Finally, we popped in again for lunch on our last day in Munich. This time I had the Tagliatelle Tartufata, which was tagliatelle in a sauce of truffels, mascarpone cheese, and cream. It was very nice and there was loads of it. To be honest, they could easily get away with half the amount, but I'm not complaining.

If you are in Munich, then a visit (or two) to Prinz Myshkin is a must. The prices are a little on the pricey side, but the food is excellent.

No comments: