Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Brew House Hotel, Tunbridge Wells


1 Warwick Park
Tunbridge Wells TN2 5TA Map


I've wandered past the back door of the Brew House many times without realising it was there. Just recently however, they have been putting hoardings up and adverts on the walls of the Cumberland Function Rooms (formerly the Gracelands Palace).

It popped up during a search on Toptable I did a few weeks back. As they were doing a promotion where, if you booked two meals in August, you got enough rewards points for a free meal my wife and I decided that Sunday lunch there was in order as this, along with a return visit to Imli earlier this month, would earn us a free meal.

Inside, the restaurant is very bright and modern. We were shown to a table next to the window and given three menus and the wine list. These comprised of the a la carte menu, the Sunday Lunch set menu and a Summer Special set menu. We decided to go for the Summer menu which was £9 for two courses plus a glass of wine.

Some home baked bread was brought to the table and we both started with a Goats Cheese, Walnut and Rocket salad. The cheese was really creamy and it combined very well with the other ingredients.

My main course was Tagliatelle with Tomato, Chilli and Rocket. My wife had a burger which had even more rocket - it did seem to embellish every dish... I thought, initially, that the tagliatelle might be boring but it was nicely spiced with chilli and quite tasty.

We decided to add dessert to the bill and for me there was but one choice as, on the menu was a Bourbon Creme Brulee. It ranked 7 on the chart. It was tasty, but let down by the consistency of he custard, which was just a bit too runny and the lack of any taste of bourbon.

My wife chose a Chocolate Fondant with Cappuccino Ice Cream and Vanilla Cappuccino of which I had a taste. It was gorgeous and I highly recommend it. The fondant was perfectly gooey and the ice cream was lovely. I didn't get a proper taste of the Vanilla Cappuccino as my wife woofed it down marvelling at how good it was!

The service was very friendly and the waiting staff were all very knowledgeable about the contents of the menu.

Compared to the a la carte menu prices (which were high, but not astronomically so) the set menu we had was a real bargain, and we'll back sometime to sample more sometime.

No comments: