Tuesday, May 20, 2008

National Vegetarian Week - Tuesday


Today is an East-Meets-West dish. It's something I came across in Rose Elliot's Veggie Chic and it sounded really interesting. As it's asparagus season the dish, Sesame Roasted Asparagus with Wasabi Vinaigrette, seemed the perfect thing to try.

It's fairly quick to do. You toss the asparagus in toasted sesame oil, sprinkle with salt and pop into the oven. Then you make the vinaigrette, which is a combination of wasabi, rice vinegar and sesame oil. The book says that the sauce is better if made up to a day in advance.

I made the sauce yesterday evening and roasted the asparagus this morning before going into work. After a quick taste, I decided that sesame oil and wasabi goes extremely well with asparagus.

When I arrived at the office, there were only a half-dozen or so people in and I wondered if I'd made too much as I put out the two plates with a pile of asparagus on each.

I needn't have worried. By lunchtime, there were only a few stalks left and everyone said how much they enjoyed it.

No comments: